For Immediate Release
Nominations open for 2015 Tourism Sault Ste. Marie Awards
Sault Ste. Marie, ON (September 14, 2015) – Sault Ste. Marie is a warm and welcoming community that embraces visitors from around the world. To help recognize individuals and groups responsible for bolstering this reputation, Tourism Sault Ste. Marie is calling for nominations for its 2015 awards.
The nomination forms for the 13th annual Tourism Sault Ste. Marie Awards are available online at www.saulttourism.com/Userfiles/2015%20Tourism%20Awards%20Nomination%20Form.pdf or by calling 705-759-5442. The deadline to nominate an individual or organization is Tuesday, October 6. This year’s awards include:
- Tourism Award of Excellence – This award is for an individual who has significantly impacted the development of tourism in Sault Ste. Marie. He or she has provided longstanding and exceptional service; has demonstrated an entrepreneurial spirit, leadership and integrity; as well has established a strong legacy through passing on their experience to others to further benefit the tourism sector. This individual has gained respect of those in the tourism industry.
- Business of the Year Award – This for-profit business in the private sector has demonstrated leadership by investing equally in both staff and customers through staff training or special programs and through value-added undertakings for the customer. The presence of this business leads to the provision of a better total tourism product in Sault Ste. Marie.
- Customer Service Award – This award is intended to recognize an individual employed in the tourism industry who has contributed to the betterment of the tourism experience for visitors. He or she exhibits a courteous, friendly manner; is customer-service oriented and regularly goes beyond the expected duties and performances of their job responsibilities. Three finalists will be chosen with the winner to be announced on the night of the awards.
- Tourism Ambassador Award – This award is designed to recognize an individual or group who, while functioning as a volunteer(s), has made a significant contribution towards strengthening our local tourism economy, helping to achieve impressive results. This individual or group has undertaken their work in the capacity of a volunteer and not as part of their regular paid employment.
- Tourism Sault Ste. Marie Student Hospitality Management Award ($500 Scholarship) – This award is designed to recognize a second-year Sault College student in the Hospitality Management Hotel and Resort Program. It will be selected by the faculty of Sault College based on academic performance in the first year and the co-operative education work term. In addition, the recipient must have demonstrated a positive contribution to the program and the hospitality industry.
“We encourage submissions from both our tourism industry partners and from the citizens of Sault Ste. Marie, since they are visitors to our various tourist facilities,” said Ian McMillan, Executive Director of Tourism Sault Ste. Marie. “These awards are a great way to recognize the dedication and hard work that individuals and businesses contribute to the betterment of our community each year.”
For media inquiries, please contact:
Tourism Sault Ste. Marie